Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pioneer Day FHE

So, as the 24 of July is Pioneer day (a significant day for Utah Mormons - the day the pioneers reached Utah) we decided we'd celebrate it for FHE. I had hoped my 1830s dress might be miraculously finished by then (Heather mailed me a dress that she started making eons ago, so that I could finish it off with the help of Sis. Hicks), but as it was not, I wore one of my generically 'old fashioned' dresses with my stays underneath. I was hoping that it would be a close approximation to a dress from around 1818. Not that that's very pioneer-ish at all, as the pioneers arrived in Utah in 1847. 

Before leaving for the church: my early 1800s hair-do.

a side view.

Ian, unfortunately, wasn't able to come. He was supposed to make fried rice, and for this reason we had invited the Duncanson's. Agnes Duncanson is mad keen to get Ian to show her how to make a proper fried rice. However, we did have plenty of food! Sister Hicks made gorgeous fried chicken, baked beans & cornbread. Rachel made soup (with leeks, carrots & potatoes). Josephine made chicken & paneer skewers with lovely asian spices, I made oat cakes (a sweet recipe, almost like flapjacks), and Agnes made a lovely citrus cheesecake. So we had quite a feast! 

Josephine, who has amazing energy, made yarn dolls as favours for everyone!

Josephine, Sis. Hicks & myself. Can't you tell that I'm wearing stays?
Josephine made the bonnet that Sis. Hicks is wearing!

Josephine made personalised dolls for the Hicks, Rachel, the Elders & myself. This one is mine -with a super full skirt. Josephine saw the 1830s dress that Sis Hicks & I are working on, and indeed, it has a *very* full skirt!
 After the meal, we had our lesson, which mostly was each of us telling family stories - whether we had 'pioneers' or not in our family history. And after that we made home-made ice-cream! In bags! It was noisy and uproariously jolly. 



Getting the ingredients together. Ice & rock-salt in an outer bag, cream, milk, sugar & vanilla in the inner bag.


Rachel explaining what salt does to ice.

Elder Hicks pouring out the salt.



sealing up the bags!

Now SHAKE!


Agnes giving it a try.




Sis Hicks with Alice, an investigator.







The ice-cream!

Rachel giving it a shake.

Shake harder! 


Ice cream and toppings!



Josephine and her ice-cream.





Delicious!


1 comment:

  1. You look so great! I love your hair-do. Very historical. And I am so thrilled that you wore your stays! Good for you! That's one of my pet peeves at living history museums. A lot of them will wear the costumes, but not the WHOLE costume, including corset. I'm telling you, Mairi, you would LOVE Conner Prairie in Fishers, Indiana! It's set in 1836 Indiana and they all wear corsets with their lovely 1830s clothing. :-)

    ReplyDelete