Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hogmanay!

So, a friend of Rachel's came up from England (a fellow named David) to spend the New Years with us. We also met up with an acquaintance of Rachel's, a girl named Aurelie from the south of France. The four of us then got the train to Airdrie, where some friends of ours picked us up and we went to the church where they were having a ceilidh. Last year Glasgow had a ceilidh, but as New Years Day was on a Sunday, they decided not to. I think this was a silly decision for them to make. In any case, we had a lovely time in Airdrie, so it's all right.
Isn't this brilliant?! This was in the train station.

Rachel & I at the dance.
They played a couple of Proclaimers songs (twice, actually) and, of course, that put me right at ease. Having grown up with the Proclaimers, I quite like them, and so when our DJ urged us all to sing along, I did so, quite lustily! There was also ceilidh dancing - hurray! Strip the Willow (one of the best dances!), the Virginia Reel & the Gay Gordons.
David, Rachel & Janine (a fellow YSA who had come for the festivities)


Getting home was quite an adventure as well. Rachel called a taxi and they were supposed to get us at 12:45. We went outside to wait, and they weren't there. After a few minutes, Rachel called them and they said they'd be there in ten minutes. At quarter past 1:00 they weren't there, though they said they were! The bishop of the Airdrie ward drove back (as it had begun to rain quite heavily) and urged us into his car, telling us he'd give us as lift. I was thrilled at the prospect, and I, and everyone else for that matter, urged Rachel to cancel the taxi. She did so, and the taxi company was so angry they banned her number from calling them again! But, I confess, it was nice to be getting home at last, warm and dry!

David was staying with us, and I don't know that he was the first one through the door in our flat, but he *does* have dark hair, so I like to think he was, and that we had a traditional "First Footer" (even if he was from England!)

3 comments:

  1. Those videos almost made me cry. I'm serious :) Hard for me to believe it's a church activity - everyone is having such a good time, and dancing and singing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. English folk never bring luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your new years was completely jolly! Much more eventful than mine (watching half of When Harry Met Sally by myself, and going to bed at 12:05).

    ReplyDelete