Sunday, January 29, 2012

Celtic Connections: the university & Askolenn

Well, every year in Glasgow there is an amazing music festival called Celtic Connections, and this year the Gaelic learners/speakers at the uni became involved. We put together a program of songs and instrumentals, and a small group of girls joined the band Askolenn at the end of their performance. Askolenn is a Breton band, and their name is "thistle" in Breton. There are six members of the band: fiddle, mandolin, guitar, bodhran and two singers. Their music is really beautiful. I am very intrigued by the Celtic connection - no pun intended! - that we have with Brittany. I recorded a few video clips of their songs. I'm trying to transfer an audio clip from my phone, but I don't know if that will work or not!

Enjoy! I sincerely hope you do!



There are more video clips I want to upload, but for now I'll post these. The last song, was, I believe, about women singing for their husbands and brothers out at sea. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!! I love this Breton music so much!! I wish I could have been there!! You need to get in touch with them, and find out if/when/where they do gigs, etc.

    ReplyDelete